It’s June, and you know what that means: It’s Pride Month! This Pride, our social media feeds will no doubt become flooded with rainbow imagery — from ourselves, our friends, and, increasingly, from ‘big box’ brands such as Target and Apple. In many ways, these signals are valuable; they can demonstrate love, support, and validation for the LGBTQIA+ community.
But in other ways, some companies adopt the rainbows because they’ve become profitable. For these organizations, Pride is less of a celebration and more of a branding strategy. They may post rainbows every day during the month of June, but how do they treat their LGBTQIA+ employees? Where do they donate their money? This potentially contradictory approach is something we can be aware of and make steps to change our behaviors towards by intentionally researching brands this Pride Month.
You may ask: Is it possible to do both? Can a company post about Pride Month on Instagram and genuinely support the community? Of course! There are a lot of companies who talk the talk AND walk the walk. Surprisingly, one example has been the Teletubbies, who have released a “Teletubbies Love Pride” streetwear collection that benefits GLAAD.
If you’re running a large company or small business, consider the ways you can show meaningful support this Pride Month. For example, you could:
- Organize a company Pride event featuring an educational speaker directly from the community.
- Send out a company newsletter or email to the team with Pride Month resources.
- Write up a value statement for the company outlining the principles and causes your organization stands with. Then, make it widely available!
Additionally, there are plenty of ways we individuals can support Pride besides making purchases or liking posts. We are by no means limited to our life behind the screen. Just a few ideas include:
- Donating to organizations such as GLAAD, The Trevor Project, The Marsha P Johnson Institute, and other groups.
- Educating yourself about LGBTQ+ history through resources such as The Library of Congress or your local library.
- Educating yourself about LGBTQIA+ legislation.
- Attending a virtual or in-person Pride event.
- Supporting LGBTQ+ authors, artists, and other creators.
So when you celebrate Pride Month, feel free to share your photos, use those rainbow filters, and buy that colorful merch. But also ask yourself: am I exhibiting larger behaviors that support the LGBTQIA+ community? How can I expand my involvement beyond the branding?
From trainings and coaching to social media and marketing, Coeus Creative Group has your behavioral intelligence needs covered. Contact us today to learn more about our services!